As you examine what has been holding you back from finding or sustaining a healthy relationship, your counselor will help you determine your areas of strength and identify constructive ways to further develop them. You will finally be able to discover who you want to be in your relationship.
Moreover, you will get to learn better ways of expressing yourself clearly and without guilt or remorse. Developing the assertiveness to vocalize your needs and desires is another benefit you can get from relationship counseling. When you have a space of support and empathy, you will also feel more inspired to resolve and surmount the thought and behavior patterns that are causing you pain or keeping you stuck.
Through therapy and counseling, you can expect to:
- Accept that the mistakes you make don’t take away from your worth -they don’t negate the fact that you deserve love either
- Acknowledge how your past experiences shape your perception of yourself but also your relationships
- Learn to better express your needs
- Recognize that feeling vulnerable without jumping to the defensive is normal
- Reflect on uncomfortable feelings to understand them rather than frantically react to them at the moment
- Strengthen your communication skills
- Understand what triggers certain emotions, why, and how